12

The Age of (the) Offended

Look at the picture above for a few moment s'il vous plait...
I just took the random picture above for a reason. This is about being offended at anything, anytime of the day, for no apparent good reasons.

I rarely listen to / watch talk programs on the radio or television. But yesterday, as I was driving to school, the two deejays on my favourite commute radio talked about how people got so easily annoyed at things, even the tiniest bit of stuff not even related to their well being. People are so judgmental and criticize like they are the foremost expert in everything in said topic.

My minor social experiment above, regarding the picture; Did you comment in your head about the children in the picture? Maybe the boy can smile a bit more? (Or the girl a bit less?) Why are they carrying big files? Surely the age of modernization we have smaller files or way better still, tablets for school? Hey, our Alice looks way prettier than the girl! My gosh, that boy looks way reddier than my Alex! Heck, what's with the white background? Why not display a scene in a classroom etc etc? and the comments goes on and on if we dwell a lot longer on the subject.

(BUT if you, o pure-hearted souls you did none of the above, good for you! I'd like to shake your hands and ask the secret to be a good non-judgmental human being).

Nowadays the social media is a favourite place to express our emotion (safe or not, that is not the discussion for now). You are having a nice meal, share it on Instagram! (where people may judge if it's really good or not). You just got dumped by your sh***y boyfriend (change your status to single in FB and wait for the judging masses to say boo-hoo-pity-you). You tweeted you are having the time of your life (and the judgy people may compare it to theirs). I just give some examples.

I will let this article hang because, heck, i am super offensive / offended / offending myself.
But hey! That what a teacher is for, we have THE RIGHT to judge and comment. This also goes to parents and bosses around the world. 

Heck, life will be boring if we don't talk about other people and complain!
C'est la vie :-)

12 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Well, I must be a pure-hearted soul, because I just thought that was a nice photo of two cute kids, LOL!

Martha said...

Well, I'm happy to say that no criticisms came to mind. The only two things I thought about were 1) I miss my kids being young like this, 2) the school season will begin here very soon and 3) I reminisced about my school days. Other than that, I thought it was a very nice photo of a couple of kids off to school.

Unknown said...

Dear Debra;
You are pure hearted indeed :) and I envy you for that.

Unknown said...

Dear Martha;
Yes, you are a certified nice person if you cannot find fault. I am the other way around, my colleagues in uni called me the 'Destroyer' because i find faults in arguments and presentations. Made me very unpopular. :(

ShadowRun300 said...

There was a time I was very critical of things, including myself. Somewhere along the way I lightened up and have become more positive. I'm much calmer now because of it, but I think I drive my hubby nuts. He'd probably like to see me get worked up a little. :)

Unknown said...

:) good for you to become more positive.
I believe i may have lightened up, mellower because it is not worth getting so fired up with every wrong in my life.
My boss even ordered me to stop yelling because i am a terrible guy when angry.

Abby said...

You're right about lots of people being overly judgemental. I wonder what's missing in their lives. The internet has provided us with lots of good, but the social shaming is a sad shadow side of it. As I've gotten older, I don't care about these things so much.

Unknown said...

Dear Abby;
Age does make people more mellow. Sometimes even wiser :)

LL Cool Joe said...

Popped over from Shadowrun's blog to check yours out.

When I looked at the photo I just thought it was acute photo of two kids, just as Debra did too! But now you mention it, those files are pretty big!

Unknown said...

Hello Mr LL Cool Joe :)
Thanks for visiting my blog.
I will of course will visit yours soon when i am properly in front of a computer :)

baili said...

cute pics ,i don't like to complain if something is hard i would avoid it or try to remove it ,i love apprenticing and encouraging others and yes i cannot hid anything i am expressive in my opinions

Unknown said...

:) good for you for encouraging others.
Being expressive makes a person interesting in my opinion.

Post a Comment

Back to Top