6

The Case of The New Bookcase and Missing Books

This bookcase is actually a combination of four cheap plywood cabinets I glued together with some strong adhesive. That was 3-4 years ago. 
I've read all of these books and put my action figures / robots / Transformers above them for display. Too cheap to buy a glass case :P 
 Recently I bought this ultra light 5x3 from the supermarket and built it up myself. The materials are only plastic fasteners, steel rods and canvas. It took me more than an hour to finish, although I could ask for help from my two friends who were only watching with much amusement.
I moved the books from the old bookcase to the new one the next morning. I put my favourite books by the late author Sir Terry Pratchett on the highest shelves; and the rest of the fantasy stuff according to their respective authors; Salvatore, Tolkien, Terry Brooks, Eddings etc.
And I realized I LOST FOUR BOOKS!
They are the first three of the Chronicles of Narnia; 'The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe', 'Prince Caspian' and 'The Voyage of the Dawn Treader' by C. S. Lewis. The fourth book is the third volume of The Dragonlance Tales 'Love and War.'
This come as a surprise for me because those books were buried deep BEHIND the rest and who would took them? My friends and immediate family do not read English fantasy books for fun.

p.s. - I did some thinking.... who would inherit my books one day? None of my relatives enjoy what I do and I am not someone who easily donate my stuff elsewhere. I might ask to have all my worldly stuff burned in my will someday.... 

6 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Maybe you loaned the books to someone to read and then forgot? That happens to me all the time. I lose more books that way!!!

Abby said...

I really like those ultra light shelves - very simple and functional! And I'm impressed that, with your book collection, you so quickly realized 4 were missing.
Just visiting from Rock Chef's :)

Unknown said...

Hello Abby;
I saw that those books were missing from their spot, no need to memorize them all.
Thanks for visiting. Will give you a visit soon :)

Unknown said...

I RARELY loan people my books as i am a very selfish bugger. I hate people touching my stuff.
This will remain a mystery for me.

Martha said...

I also rarely loan my books to anyone. They never come back! There are only a handful of people who are allowed to borrow them...like my daughters :) Okay, maybe my brother, too. He's very good about giving things back.

Those are pretty cool shelves. I have some all over the house. So many books that need a place!

Unknown said...

Hello Martha;
We maybe great readers but i sometimes think what will happen to my books when I am no more. Urm...

Post a Comment

Back to Top